ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Yongsan/base pet policies (copy)

For anyone who thinks this might be helpful after recent events.
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Yongsan/base pet policies

This is another that talks about banned animals on any military base as it is now standard on all bases. For those that review adoption apps, this would be very helpful as well! I would also like to attest to the trials and tribulations my husband and I have faced because since we have more than 2 pets, we are NOT ever allowed to live on-base (unless we lie about how many we have) or get rid of them (which will NEVER happen!)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13354407/U...Housing-Jan-09
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:54 PM
National treasures need homes

Thank you for posting this, Wiemann. A couple of points really stood out:

- Lost animals found on base can be killed after only three days. At least Korean law gives lost animals 10 days to be reunited with their families!

- Rabbits appear to fall into both the "exotic animals" category and the "caged animals" category. That means they are prohibited and permitted in all family housing.

- Under section 6 s., it sounds as if the authorities have almost unlimited discretion in cases involving disputes between neighbours. That is concerning.

- Under section 6 u., it doesn't say how far their discretion extends. Could they decide to kill an animal if there's no room in the facility, or if the kennel staff are afraid of getting bitten?
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
National treasures need homes

I think it's important to point out that "recent events" took place off base.

Also, I'd hate to see military families denied the opportunity to adopt altogether. Maybe more questions need to be asked--Wiemann, what do you suggest?

There's also the question of when dogs should be adopted out to families with young children, and what the rule should be for those kinds of adoptions. That's an issue for military and non-military families.
Unread 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

First THANK YOU for posting this!!

Second, as an adoption coordinator I am very interested in knowing what has recently happened. Could you share here, or at the very least someone pm me please?
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptbullies View Post
First THANK YOU for posting this!!

Second, as an adoption coordinator I am very interested in knowing what has recently happened. Could you share here, or at the very least someone pm me please?
Please go to the facebook page as it was really heated and I do not wish to see it happen again here. Thanks.
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiemann View Post
What is privatized housing or RCI housing?

I wonder if we should adjust the adoption application to reflect the many types of housing involved in Korea as expats or military expats? That way adoption coordinators now and later will remember to reflect on these policies.

Also, does anyone know if this is different say for the bases in Daegu, Waegwan etc etc ?
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM

I made an appointment with one of the base vets to ask about SOFA policies and Military requirements regarding family pets. I hope that this helps everyone understand the rules and requirements for military families.

Here are the basics:

1) If an animal is lost on base or is abandoned, the length of time the animal has is based upon several factors: health, disposition, and whether or not the base has a rescue organization. If the base has a rescue organization, animals can have up to 30 days in the vet clinic to be adopted. All animals who are relinquished or found on base go through a behavioral analysis with a certified vet tech and veterinarian. If there is an on base family that can foster to test out the living situation, then the time may be extended. The adoption agencies on base are expected to offer a week of "fostering" to any potential adoptive family, where the animal can be returned with no penalty in order to ensure that the family situation works for the family and the pet.

2) The regulations and laws regarding care and safety of humans/animals are the same as the host nation as well as meeting the requirements of basic care and safety according to American standards. This means that all SOFA status folks have to follow both sets of rules and regulations or can face consequences.

3) SOFA status does not cancel out Korean laws. If anything, it makes the consequences more serious because issues can impact a military member's career and ability to sponsor his/her family, jail time, loss of job, and can lead to the loss of base housing privileges if the infractions are serious enough. If there is a situation where someone requires medical care, the event is automatically reported to the authorities and appropriate commanding officers. There must be a complete investigation into the event to determine if any infractions have occurred. (This applies to civilians too)

4) Base housing rules regarding pets are in place in order to try to avoid over-population of animals in housing and/or the use of on base animal facilities. If a family has more than the allowed number of pets in housing, then they risk losing housing privileges. Military members may have additional pets if they choose to live off base. All rules and requirements of the landlord need to be met in order to have pets in off-base housing.

5) The rabbits are listed in two categories to ensure that the animals are kept as family pets, not food. Apparently this has been an issue in the past, who knows?

6) Pets adopted in any country are required to be registered with the vet clinic, given a health check, microchipped and vaccinated. The microchip must be registered and addresses/contact information needs to be updated as the family moves. In countries like Korea, if a family does not comply, their pet will not be allowed to accompany the family in a NEO (evacuation) situation.

7) Breeds that are considered "high risk" are not recommended for military families. The vet clinics reserve the right to limit services to emergency services only if an animal is a high risk breed or considered aggressive. Many bases do not allow these animals to live in base housing.

8) Animals with a history of aggression are not to live in base housing.

9) All SOFA status employees/military members must meet the host nation's animal import requirements in order to bring their pets to the country. All pets that are imported to Korea must go through Incheon Airport to arrive and depart since that is where the quarantine center is.

10) All animals MUST be relinquished to an appropriate rescue organization or adoptive family. Abandoning a pet is considered an infraction and can lead to reprimands as well as additional consequences.
Unread 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptbullies View Post
What is privatized housing or RCI housing?

I wonder if we should adjust the adoption application to reflect the many types of housing involved in Korea as expats or military expats? That way adoption coordinators now and later will remember to reflect on these policies.

Also, does anyone know if this is different say for the bases in Daegu, Waegwan etc etc ?
RCI is, as far as I know, an American-based contractor for CONUS installations and possibly Hawaii/Alaska. HV is managed by Korea National Housing Corp.

I opened a Scribd account and have uploaded the pet policies I have at hand; I'll dig out the rest and post them in that account later.

USAG-Y Policy 2-1 Control of Pets, Mascots, and Stray Animals

Since we are dealing with Korea, the breakdown will be policies issued by US Forces Korea (USFK) and then by the installation.

OCONUS housing gets tricky; some installations may allow dogs/cats in one housing area, but not another in addition to their requirements for granting waivers for people to live off property.

Example: Yongsan Army Garrison

Hannam Village are quarters for Command Sponsored (CS) Enlisted (E1-E8) and Junior Officers (O1-O3 & WO1-WO3) and Burke Towers (located on South Post) are quarters for CS Officers. Both have a "No cat/dog" policy.

What this means for those in Rescue or in Screening Adoptions:

1) Find out exactly where the military family lives. "On base" doesn't cut it. You need to know the name of the housing area because people lie. I can post links from this board where someone (Harris17) posted where they lived (in HV) and complained about not being allowed to have a cat or dog. The next year, they lied to either Regina or Annie about where they lived when they adopted Ginger.

2) If the family is interested in a breed or mix that appears frequently in US BSL, then question them as to their intentions. some countries have banned several breeds while others have strict importation rules and require a temperament test; those countries have US bases.

3) Along the same line as 2, Orders to countries (or Hawaii) that require FAVN testing and a quarantine period are common. How are they going to handle that? Ideally, if they are staying in long term, they will opt to go ahead and have the ISO compliant chip and FAVN done. The results are good for 2-3 years (depending on country) and re-testing can be done without making for an additional waiting period.

I've got some other thoughts on the subject. For the moment (IE the rest of this evening) I'll be getting together/uploading the POAs for other US bases in Korea.

Wiemann, I know of people who have requested and received waivers to have an additional pet over the limit.