ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Please doublecheck and answer a few questions for me.

I have read the information on this site, but would still appreciate it if somone who has done this before can doublecheck it and answer the questions I have.

1. TRAVEL CAGE:

2. RABIES SHOT/CERTIFICATE: Was done within the last year and prior to 30 days before flying.

3. HEALTH CERTIFICATE: I read that it is supposed to be done within 10 days of traveling and it just states that my dog is healthy enough to fly.

Is this correct for flights on Air Canada to Canada?

Is there a special document for this or does the vet just make one?

4. RESERVATION FOR MY DOG:

5. AIRPORT: I must take my dog, rabies certificate, health certificate and fee to the Incheon Quarantine Office. They will then give me an official travel document in English. I should arrive about 4 hours before my departure time.

Is this correct?

6. AIRPORT CHECK-IN PROCESS:

What's the actual process for checking in? Me, my dog, payment for him etc.

7. CONFIRMATION: Confirm after I board that my dog has been loaded.

8. VANCOUVER IMMIGRATION: I assume it's the same process. Just tell them I have a dog.

Is this correct?

9. VANCOUVER PICK-UP: I assume he can be picked up near the baggage carousels somewhere.

10. VANCOUVER PROCESS TIME:

I will be changing flights and want to be sure I make the connecting flight.

How long will the official process take to get him in officially, take him outside and re-check him?

11. CONFIRMATION: Confirm after I board my second flight that he was loaded.

HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING?

Thanks for your help!
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Formerly of Jeju.

Default Re: Please doublecheck and answer a few questions for me.

I've just done this this March, although I did have help from Korean Animal Transport for the Incheon Quarantine Office and can't give as much info there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasier View Post
I have read the information on this site, but would still appreciate it if somone who has done this before can doublecheck it and answer the questions I have.

1. TRAVEL CAGE: I bought my crate through my vet's office. It was a Petmate Vari-kennel (you can also buy them on Gmarket) and it is airline approved. Other brands can be good, too. It was a hard plastic crate with a metal grid door and ventilation on the side. They come in a few sizes, from Small to Giant.
The travel crate cannot be a cage, and it cannot be collapsable. You should check to make sure that it is airline approved.

2. RABIES SHOT/CERTIFICATE: Was done within the last year and prior to 30 days before flying.
Actually, the dog I flew received his rabies vaccine about 10 days before he flew (glad it worked!) This would not be acceptable for animals flying to/through the U.S. but Canada only requires that the shot be within the last year.

3. HEALTH CERTIFICATE: I read that it is supposed to be done within 10 days of traveling and it just states that my dog is healthy enough to fly.
The health certificate for the dog I flew with included both the rabies vaccination cert and that he was healthy enough to fly. Also stated that he was not carrying any communicable disease or parasites. Not sure if it was a general form my vet downloaded or not. I believe I picked up the certificate 5 days before he flew.

Is this correct for flights on Air Canada to Canada?
Yes, I believe so.

Is there a special document for this or does the vet just make one?
I took 2 dogs to Canada (on different days) and they had different vets. The document for each vet looked different, so possibly they just make one. However, my dogs travelled with the assistance of KAT so it's possible that KAT made their own health document for one of my dogs (I'll have to check the paperwork)
Hopefully someone can give you a more detailed answer for this.

4. RESERVATION FOR MY DOG:
Yes, you need to make one. Also note that on Air Canada flights from Incheon to Vancouver they only allow 1 dog in cargo (no matter the size) so you'll want to book in advance. I booked 10 days in advance and it wasn't a problem, but that might not always be the case.
So you can book your ticket and then call them (within 24 hours) to book space for your dog. If there's not space for your dog, as long as you call within 24 hours of your booking there will no charge to change your reservation.

5. AIRPORT: I must take my dog, rabies certificate, health certificate and fee to the Incheon Quarantine Office. They will then give me an official travel document in English. I should arrive about 4 hours before my departure time.

Is this correct?
This is what I've heard, as well.

6. AIRPORT CHECK-IN PROCESS:

What's the actual process for checking in? Me, my dog, payment for him etc.
Go in the regular check-in line with your dog. At the counter you'll check in as regular with your bags and what-not, but you'll also have to show all the papers and check in your dog too (hopefully your dog plus crate will be less than 31 kg). For Air Canada you will pay $270 for excess baggage for your dog, which you will pay around the corner at another counter (they'll give you a pay receipt which you'll bring back to the original counter). Keep in mind they do not accept credit cards (for some reason) but you can pay with cash (probably in Won) or your cash card. $270 CAD is about 310,000 Won.

Once you've checked your dog in you'll have to bring him to the oversized and special luggage area yourself so the crate can be all taped up and labelled. I believe you need one of those drip water bottles to attach to the crate. The luggage handlers can either take your dog from there, or alternatively you can bring your dog to the gate yourself (I believe, I did not do this as my dog was pretty big).

7. CONFIRMATION: Confirm after I board that my dog has been loaded.

I just told the flight attendants that I had a dog and asked them if they could let me know when he boarded.

8. VANCOUVER IMMIGRATION: I assume it's the same process. Just tell them I have a dog.
Make sure you mark on your customs declaration that you are bringing in a live animal. The immigration officer will ask you a few questions and then put a code on your card.

Is this correct?

9. VANCOUVER PICK-UP: I assume he can be picked up near the baggage carousels somewhere.
Yes, he will come out at the oversized luggage area. You will then have to take him to the... Agricultural Inspection Office? It's an open office located along the wall of the baggage area (opposite wall to oversized luggage). If you are unsure of where it is, ask at the info desk there. This is where you will need your dog's paperwork so he can be brought into Canada. Sign some papers. Also, pay the import fee (I paid about $36 and change).

10. VANCOUVER PROCESS TIME:

I will be changing flights and want to be sure I make the connecting flight.

How long will the official process take to get him in officially, take him outside and re-check him?
Depends a bit on the line through immigration and when your baggage finally comes out on the carousel. I think I had just under 3 hours from when my plane landed to when the next one took off, and that was plenty of time to go through and collect him, do the official paperwork, take him outside for a walk, make sure he drank some water, re-check him, and wait a little before I boarded myself.

11. CONFIRMATION: Confirm after I board my second flight that he was loaded.
Yep, same as the previous flight.

HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING?

How big is your dog? If he's a large size with a big crate and won't fit on those trolls you can get (for free), you may want to have some extra money to pay for a porter in Vancouver Airport as there's a bit of distance between where you get your dog and where you check him back in. However, I was later able to use one of their carts for free when I took him and his crate outside so he could go for a bit of a walk.

If you are flying to Toronto, they suck as far as carts go. You have to pay $2 to borrow their cart and they are pretty small. They have larger trollies there but would not let me use one because it was "against regulations". So I had to take my dog out of the crate and drag the extra large crate across the baggage room floor while he was on a leash beside me. Fun times. But there are some really nice people in Toronto who helped me out (not employed by the airport).

Thanks for your help!
Hope your flight goes well! Also be sure to check when you are flying if there are any heat or cold embargoes.

Last edited by jejudogs; 03-24-2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added info about import fee
Unread 03-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Please doublecheck and answer a few questions for me.

Wow, this post is a great checklist for travellers. Thank you both for the super-thorough questions and answers!

I just want to add a couple minor things:

RE: #3 Health Certificates
- Make backup photocopies for your own personal records and keep them in your carry-on luggage.
- Each time I travelled to Canada with dogs it seemed the vet's paperwork looked different. I also suspect there is no standardized form.

RE: #7, #11 Confirmation
- Be bold. When I asked if the Air Canada flight attendant could confirm our dogs were on board, the first woman actually said "How should I know?" I told her that on Korean Air, the flight attendant scanned my baggage claim ticket. Then I started crying. She redirected me to someone else who could, and did, confirm. When flying West Jet domestically I got confirmation before actually boarding the plane myself.

Just know that you're not crazy for asking and if you happen to get an unhelpful person, try someone else