ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 02-26-2011, 11:10 PM

Exclamation Urgent: foster or home needed for Kuma the tiger cat

Please, please, please help! I cannot keep this cat for very long. I have two dogs, one of whom is not trustworthy with smaller animals, and a hamster and fish, which he is not trustworthy with! I am also allergic to cats and even after one night, he's making me miserable. I cannot afford to vet him right now and there are no cat supplies in my town! I CANNOT KEEP THIS CAT. If I can't find him a foster home soon, he will have to go back outside! He's not a street cat and he won't do very well out there but its not safe or comfortable for him in my house either.

I will be happy to help transport him to you depending on distance.

Animal Name : Kuma
City/Location : Samcheok, Gangwon-do
Breed : short hair
Sex : male
Spayed / Neutered : No
Size : no idea but small for a male cat
Health status/ vaccinations : probably not
Behaviour/Personality : Very sweet guy. He's a major purring machine and loves to lick your hand. He really just wants to be with you and on you. Seems to have good house manners. Likes children and ignores dogs. Probably not good with other male cats but I don't know.

Original Rescue Story: My students live in the same apartment complex as I do. They know I like animals and tried to give me this cat several times. I said no because I have dogs. I ended up sheltering him from a snowstorm then he went back outside. He disappeared, so I assumed he went back home. Today my student knocked on my door and placed the cat in my house saying "Teacher help me [the cat]." The cat definitely has not had a good week and a half since I last saw him. He's dirty and lost a lot of weight. He's been fighting with the strays. He was obviously someone's pet, and sadly, I think they dumped him.

Adoption Fee: 50 000 won
Adoption fee will be donated to the shelter of your choice.

Unread 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Urgent: foster or home needed for Kuma the tiger cat

Have you tried putting posters up around your neighbourhood to find his owners?
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:09 AM

He's been in my house for less than 12 hours and was gone at a farewell dinner for most of the evening, so I haven't had the chance to do anything with him other than pick up some litter and cat food in the next town over. He's been meowing in the bathroom since about midnight.

Thank you for the suggestion: while I have considered posters, I do not have the means to do so. All of my Korean friends and my co-teacher at school just moved. At this point, I don't even have a co-teacher anymore because she wasn't replaced by my school yet (I guess they assume I'm self-sufficient for a week or two). No one told me March is uproot our lives and move month. I live in a backwater coal town of 2, 000 where no one speaks English. I don't even have access to a printer at at school without jacking someone's computer when they're not looking

Also, I suspect my students knew who's cat belonged to. Sadly there are several cats who you can tell used to be friendly and are now semi-feral. My townmate rescued a cat in a similar situation last year.

My apartment complex is the only civilization for about a mile, which is why I assumed the cat could find his way home if he was welcome there. It's not a large complex at all.

Really, this is not a good situation, and gosh I was dreading it would happen when kitten season rolled around with ferals! I wasn't expecting an adult cat.
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Ah, maybe the shelter in Asan can take him? They don't seem to have that many cats right now.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annemariew View Post
Ah, maybe the shelter in Asan can take him? They don't seem to have that many cats right now.
I think Eveliens is having touble commuting. She lives near taebaek and doesnt have the time or means to get to Asan. If someone could pick up the cat and take him that would be wonderful! Eve fosters for KAPS too and she is a bit overwhelm right now ~is there anyone that can help Eve by doing the leg work?
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM

I'm absolutely willing to foster this cat! Unfortunately, I have a very hectic work week this week and I wouldn't be able to make it to pick him up until next weekend at the very earliest. I live in Daegu - is there anyone who could pick him up sooner than I could?
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:51 AM

I would also take him and I also live in Daegu, however I can not get out there to pick him up either so if you are will to drop him off in town I am more then willing to house him!
Being that he needs vetting I wouldn't want to pay the adoption fee, also I don't get paid for another few weeks so I really can't spare the cash, it seem weird to me that you would say he has to go back outside and yet ask for an adoption fee when you can't keep him!
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesshnatko View Post
Being that he needs vetting I wouldn't want to pay the adoption fee, also I don't get paid for another few weeks so I really can't spare the cash, it seem weird to me that you would say he has to go back outside and yet ask for an adoption fee when you can't keep him!
Adoption fees are mandatory on ARK. If you want to adopt an animal, you will have to pay a fee. (For an explanation of the reasons for this, see the adoption rules here)
Eveliens is not 'selling' the cat to make a profit, but is sheltering him temporarily while trying to find him a good home, preferably a permanent one, but another foster home if an adopter can't be found. She will be donating his adoption fee to the shelter of the adopter's choice.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Adoption fees are mandatory on ARK. If you want to adopt an animal, you will have to pay a fee. (For an explanation of the reasons for this, see the adoption rules here)
Jesshnatko is not looking to adopt, she is looking to foster: http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/for...ead.php?t=5476 I think she is new to rescuing and doesnt know all the right terms right now. ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesshnatko View Post
, it seem weird to me that you would say he has to go back outside and yet ask for an adoption fee when you can't keep him!
She is saying he has to go back outside because he is an outside stray, and her first obligation is to her first fosters. The stray cat and her foster dogs cant live together in harmony.

She is asking an adoption fee in case there is someone that wanted to adopt. But if you or thatlizamac wanted to foster him, then you would not pay the adoption fee, you would simply foster him which means vet him and then keep his profile on ARK uptodate, in hopes of finding a forever home asap.

Eve is trying to do the right thing can someone please help out. Even if you can pick up the cat and meet half way to Daegu, then we can find another person to meet half way. OR if someone wants to donate the train ticket price and another person wants to donate their time.

ARK is a great community I know a few of us can pull together.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Eve can you give us the best route to Daegu. Where do you transfer on the trains, then maybe we can coordinate people in that area.

OR can you give us the best route to Asan from where you are and perhaps all of us would know better if we can help.
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Thank you Eve for not giving up and for helping this little guy!
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the support

I have possibly found a foster home that's a little closer but will not be able to transport him until next weekend. In the meantime he'll just have to bunk down in the bathroom. I will let everyone know how this turns out. He's a super sweet cat I just can't keep him!
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveliens View Post
Thank you everyone for the support

I have possibly found a foster home that's a little closer but will not be able to transport him until next weekend. In the meantime he'll just have to bunk down in the bathroom. I will let everyone know how this turns out. He's a super sweet cat I just can't keep him!
YAY!
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Kitty has been safely transferred out of my care He's very happy to be out of my bathroom and away from the crazy dogs.

Thank you everyone for the help!
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Lucky Kitty! Is he in a new foster home or has he been adopted?
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:51 AM

He's going to another foster home, so he'll have an adoption ad up in the forum when things get sorted out/settled down It really wasn't a moment too soon as my neighbors tried to kill him yesterday when he slipped out onto my deck (we share decks and he slipped over to their side).

Sadly, aside from the kids, my town is not animal-friendly at all.