ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Default dog has white things in urine..?

I just picked up a foster dog yesterday, she's female/pekignese/about 7/blind in one eye.
I wanted to let her pee before I go out(have to go to class now!).
and noticed this in her urine...:

she went to the vets yesterday and said to be healthy, tested negative for heartworm but has a bit of a cold.. not much coughing more sneezing and runny nose.
I have to leave now and will take her on monday, but if anyone knws anything till then please let me know!
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Default Re: dog has white things in urine..?

oh yea,
as soon as she was finished peeing she tried to lick it..?
i stoped her of course.
i have water out 24/7 for my doggies and have her set seperate. she too has wate of course but doesnt want to really drink it..? last time she drank was around 9pm yesterday.
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:23 PM

I can't tell from the pics, is it foamy or fuzzy? If it is foamy, then it is most likely protein which would indicate kidney issues.
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm not sure either.... It was thick though.. ha. She went pee later today and was fine... hmm......
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Had she taken pills that day or the day before? Could have been simple elimination...
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Hard to tell.. I just got her on Saturday. She tries to bit me when I feed her meds.. so not really.. lol. I'm going to check her pee today, see how it is.
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaMarigolda View Post
I can't tell from the pics, is it foamy or fuzzy? If it is foamy, then it is most likely protein which would indicate kidney issues.
I checked this morning and it showed up again, It was def. foamy. Due to my classes being all day it looks as though I can't go till this comming Saturday - what can I do for her until then??

Also is there a way to feed her medications for her cold? Its in powder form and whenever I try to feed it to her through a syringe she growls and then will snap at me... :S
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah24 View Post

Also is there a way to feed her medications for her cold? Its in powder form and whenever I try to feed it to her through a syringe she growls and then will snap at me... :S
I was wondering if this would work: restricting water for her and but mixing in the meds with her water and giving it to her a certain times? I already began mixing in her water with her meds to the points is really watery and she doesnt seem to mind drinking it then..? I just want to restrict her water intake so that whenever I put the water down she'll slurp it right up, even with the medicine in... what do you think?
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Formerly of Jeju.

Hmm, I don't know about restricting water, you wouldn't want her to get dehydrated accidentally.
Does the medicine have to be given to her without food? Any way of mixing it up with something a bit mroe tasty that she is sure to gulp down?

I hope she's ok!
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:30 PM

I wouldn't restrict water intake. As jejudogs pointed out, dehydration could result and if it is a kidney issue, that would most likely make it worse AND would affect any blood test results (most likely making things look worse since dehydration will elevate certain levels).

I wouldn't suggest putting the powder in her water since it most likely would taste nasty. I tend to like to use stuff that I know the dogs will go crazy over, like a couple of teaspoons of plain yogurt, flavored cream cheese, canned tuna or baby food; I don't feed/keep canned food, but even that is an option if you have a flavor that she really likes.

There are several illnesses with foamy urine as a major symptom. If you are going to have to wait until the weekend, I'd spend the rest of the week making sure she is adequately hydrated and noting when the foam occurs. If it is only occurring first thing in the morning, I'd suggest trying to catch a sample the morning of her appointment and having them run bloodwork
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM

If it's a kidney thing, a low protein diet is easiest on kidneys. Does she eat vegetables?
Unread 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM

She's eating Karma dog food, it's both low in sodium... and i believe protein..?
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
If it's a kidney thing, a low protein diet is easiest on kidneys. Does she eat vegetables?
Unless the foam is due to diabetes.
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:54 AM

After two days in my house her urine seems fine now.. is it a possibility that she is better(cause of good nutrition etc.etc.)?
Unread 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
After two days in my house her urine seems fine now.. is it a possibility that she is better(cause of good nutrition etc.etc.)?
It depends. There are some kidney related issues that can look better (in a small amount of time) with the low sodium diet you are feeding, but the underlying issue is still there. Typically, it takes 6-8 weeks for true nutritional changes to occur since the dog normally has a "detox" period if going from junk food to the good stuff.

I don't know if the dog food recall of 2006/2007 hit over here like it did in the US (though I imagine it did cause problems since I have seen many of those same brands at various stores on the economy). I know of several dogs that developed Fanconi Syndrome (or other issues) due to contaminated food and/or treats.

Given that most of the dogs you guys are picking up are the product of some seriously crappy breeding, have had less than stellar care/nutrition AND the possibility that they ate contaminated food, I'd suggest basic bloodwork on anything you bring home to foster/keep and consider doing urinalysis on any breed prone to kidney issues or over the age of 5. Keep in mind, I like having as complete a picture as possible.
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Okay, does anyone know of any vet that does 30% discounts and are pretty good? The vet i've been using has reduced the discount to 10%.. i mean i'm can't complain - a discount is a discount... but as I am still a student.. the bigger the discount the better.. (: lol.
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Ra-on clinic in Kyungri-dan does, just over from Haebangcheon.
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM

Hi Sarah,

Have you had your puppy checked out yet? I ran across something about foam in urine in my medical terminology class__chapter on the urinary system. It's called glomerulonephritis which is basically damaged glomeruli (microscopic bundles of capillaries in sac-like structures which filter the blood.)

I googled it and here's one site: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Glomerulonephritis

This is a list of the symptoms. Does he have any of these?....

Blood in the urine (dark, rust-colored, or brown urine)
Foamy urine
Swelling (edema) of the face, eyes, ankles, feet, legs, or abdomen
Abdominal pain
Cough
Diarrhea
General ill feeling
Fever
Joint aches
Muscle aches
Loss of appetite
Shortness of breath
Excessive urination
Nosebleed
Blood in the vomit or in stools

The site also mentioned causes and one was heart infection. Has he been tested for HW? My book just mentioned streptococcal infection as one cause.

Not a vet but trying to help. Hope you found a good vet with a discount. Let us know what you find out.

Cheerios!

Last edited by luvadog; 06-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Unread 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM

She will be getting a urine test this monday.
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
She will be getting a urine test this monday.
How did the tests come out?
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM

All tests came back normal. (:

I think it may have been the area she peed on? Lol. It sounds like a funny idea, but when she peed on the black cement in never showed up.. only when she peed on the white cement area...
Anways, she's doing great. (:
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
All tests came back normal. (:

I think it may have been the area she peed on? Lol. It sounds like a funny idea, but when she peed on the black cement in never showed up.. only when she peed on the white cement area...
Anways, she's doing great. (:
That's good news! Any pictures? This her? http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/for...ead.php?t=3892

Last edited by luvadog; 06-29-2010 at 02:30 PM.