ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 06-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Default Pet Carrier Oops

So, I'm a bit of a dole and misread the labeling on the website where I purchased my cat carrier.

I'm flying home to Canada in August on Air Canada with my two cats.

The dimensions listed on the Air Canada website for a soft sided carrier are:
Height: 27 cm (10.5 in)
Width: 40 cm (15.5 in)
Length: 55 cm (21.5 in)
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...gage/pets.html

MY carrier is, unfortunately, 11.5 in (30cm) high.
It squishes down a bit (I'm going home after school today to find out exactly HOW MUCH it will squish down)

But I'm looking for someone else who has flown a pet in cabin with Air Canada and might have noticed how much room there is down there.

Or better yet, has anyone happened to have a tape measure and measure the actual height of the storage area under the seat? (I'm reaching I know...)

Anyways, provided I can get the carrier to "squish down," how much difficulty do you think I'm looking at to get them on the airplane?

Here is my carrier:
http://www.catsnara.co.kr/Nicecart4p...key=A22B23C186

We are *not* putting the wheels on it.
Any help would be appreciated!
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Pet Carrier Oops

I pulled up the manufacturer's site since the store site doesn't work well with Goggle translator. How does the frame in it work? Does it have two pieces on each long side that slide into place? or is it more like a Sherpa bag? Asking because from the pics of it folded down for storage, it folds pretty flat.

If it has the pieces that slide into place, then it won't have much give. If the frame is more like a Sherpa, then it should give enough to fit under the seat.
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

It has quite a bit of give, but it has pieces that are there to support the frame of the bag.

I squished it down yesterday and I'm positive it will squish to the 10.5 requirement

I guess it's just a matter of showing and convincing and pleading with the ticket agent or whoever it is that checks out the carriers...
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Naeria,

I will be leaving in September and also traveling with a cat. I was looking at the carrier you posted, it looks like a good one, and I might order that model. However, I would run into the same size requirement issues you talked about. What did you decide, will it squish down enough to be acceptable in the cabin? Overall, do you think it's a pretty good carrier? This is my first time traveling with a cat, and her first time on a plane. I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Thanks! Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Unread 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Hi Ashley,

It definitely has quite a bit of give to it, and I'm 90% sure it'll fit under the seat. Fingers crossed, hopefully we won't run into trouble. I'll post here once I get home and let everyone know how it goes.
If you wanted to be doubly sure that there will be no problems I would recommend a Sherpa bag, that is the right size measurements. Unfortunately they only ship to Korea for LOTS of $$$$.
Good luck!

I'll let everyone know once we're home ^^
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the info, and suggestion on the Sherpa bag. I'll keep that in mind, depending on the shipping fees.

Good luck with your trip and hope it goes well. Looking forward to your post when you get home!