ARK Forums 2007-2011

Unread 11-16-2010, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Copper needs a family to love!

What stage heartworm does she have? And is she going to be treated in Korea or in the US? If it's early stage, a lot of current research suggests the slow-kill method using the same drugs that are used as preventatives (ivermectin) only in more frequent doses. For later stage, immiticide is still the standard treatment, but a pre-treatment with doxycycline is recommended (to kill off another parasite that lives in symbiosis with the heartworms). Immiticide is brutal and can cause heart (and kidney) problems (killing the worms too fast is very hard on the body). Vets in Korea do NOT use the newer protocol, only immiticide. I would strongly recommend talking to the vet about giving the doxycyline treatment before the immiticide. You can find a lot of links to the heartworm research info here
http://dogaware.com/health/heartworm.html
I haven't seen her since I left Korea in Sept, but she was still very much Jumping Jindo and full of life then, so fingers crossed the disease isn't too far advanced. Sooooo thrilled you are going to give her a wonderful new life. You won't be disappointed.
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Formerly of Jeju.

Copper will still be heading to the U.S. after her treatment, right?
I hope she's doing well!
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:56 PM

We are working out the details now (or I should say Amanda is!) on getting her to the US.

She is doing great here with Jinger and Toby. She is a very sweet, easy to care for dog.

Her favorite things

1. Her homemade bed made out of blankets

2. Ham (she jumps up on me when she sees it, haha)

3. and she likes having her belly rubbed

also her heartworm has to be very early stages because the veterinarian didn't see any sign that it has affected her Heart or any other organs at this point and she is a perky dog. She lounges a lot but so do both my other dogs, she doesn't act any more tired than they do which is awesome.

Last edited by Daisy95; 12-23-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: update Hearworm Status
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Yes!!! We're still waiting on Copper to come home. As I told Daisy and ASR, we can also do Boston; DC; Hartford, CT airports if necessary, anything within a 2 hour drive at most to Stamford, CT.

I'm so glad to hear about the ham, our current pups love ham too, so this should be Fuuuuuuuuuuun lol.

Also, anything else I can do stateside to help out the shelters please let me know.

D
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM

A couple new photos of Copper. She is doing fine here with Jinger and Toby. She starts her heartworm treatment next week. Good news is she has a very mild case and it hasn't affected her heart or any organs at this point.

Copper and Jinger Playing

Copper Lounging

What a pretty face

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
National treasures need homes

She's so beautiful. So you're going to be fostering her for a while before she flies out, I guess? When do you think she'll be ready?
Unread 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM

She should be ready no later than March sometime. She has a home waiting for her we just have to get her there once the treatments are over and the veterinarian gives her the ok to fly!
Unread 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
National treasures need homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy95 View Post
She should be ready no later than March sometime. She has a home waiting for her we just have to get her there once the treatments are over and the veterinarian gives her the ok to fly!
That's great!
Unread 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Wow, Copper looks incredible. Thanks so much for taking such good care of her, Daisy95.
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:44 PM

She really is a sweetie, if I didn't have 4 dogs already I'd keep her for sure I am so glad she has a home so she never has to go back to a shelter again!

Her hair is getting so soft now that she has been on a good diet for awhile. She is so greedy when it comes to treats like Ham, lol. She isn't fond of men but when my husband has Ham she's his best friend

It will take her a little time like it did Jinger, but I am confident she will blossom into a carefree dog once the shelters are a distant memory for her.
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM

Please say Doggie Prayers for Copper, she starts her Heartworm Treatment Tomorrow
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy95 View Post
Since her home in the US is confirmed but she won't be moving for another few weeks, I'm going to move this thread into the Fostering Forum for now. I will move it to the Completed Adoptions after she's with her new family.

I hope we can still read updates about her progress. Fingers crossed the heartworm treatment goes smoothly.
Unread 02-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Sounds Great! She does have a home, but until she is actually on her way there I don't want anyone to forget about her

She goes next week for her last two treatments, she's been doing fabulous since her last one, so I am hoping all goes just as smooth next week and she can get over this hurdle.
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:51 AM

Hoping and praying the treatments are going well. I believe today is her last day and the next hurdle to get over is the plane trip here. If we can't get anyone for her to fly in with in March we'll just have to get her shipped. I just hate the poor girl having to go through the plane trauma so soon but once we get her here she'll have a pound of ham waiting for her to devour.

We can't wait to get her home where she belongs. I look at her picture every morning hanging on our fridge and just get a big smile on my face.

Thank you so much Daisy95 for all your wonderful work with her and helping out in this pinch. You are the BEST!!!

DeAnna
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM

Copper's last treatment is today and she does seem like she is tolerating them fine. She was still bouncing around for her Ham (well as much as she ever bounces).

I will be glad when they are over, but I won't lie when she leaves us I will miss her. She is the sweetest dog. Through everything she has never growled once, barked once, whined once did anything at all that I'd consider problem behavior. The worst thing she does is go absolutely bonkers when she is going to get some people food, she will even steal the other dogs if we let her, lol. They have learned when they get something to eat it up and not leave it for later. But, you know with everything she has been through who would blame her for wanting something tasty to eat, she gets just as excited when she gets her canned dog food every day.

If everything goes as planned she will be ready to go the Beginning of April.