ARK Forums 2007-2011


 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
annie annie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,344
Images: 28
Default Re: Precious Graham needs a warm home! [post moved from other thread]

That makes sense (well, about the exposure to rabies, not the actual quarantine)!
Thanks for the info elli120
  #22  
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:32 PM
luvadog luvadog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,868
Default Re: Precious Graham needs a warm home! [post moved from other thread]

Elli120___the perfect example of L.A.F.F. (Love At First Foster.)

You would not believe how far this girl would go for her "foster" dog. I think the latest is, she's staying in Europe for an extended period so he doesn't have to be in quarantine. Right Elli? Correct me.

She was not going to adopt either because she's from England. She fostered. hmmmm...end of story. Lucky dog.
  #23  
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Karen's Avatar
Karen Karen is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph (Canada)
Posts: 1,774
Images: 163
Default Re: Precious Graham needs a warm home! [post moved from other thread]

I think we all agree on what the ideal situation is. I think most foster parents would go the extra mile if they could. People who foster do it for love...

The point I was trying to make is that fostering is so important that any help is worth it. Whether you can only foster for a month or even a week, it can help in an emergency situation. Foster parents should not have to justify why they can't adopt. I trust individuals to make their own decisions about their lives, and they should not have to feel pressure from anyone to justify those decisions.
  #24  
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Karen's Avatar
Karen Karen is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph (Canada)
Posts: 1,774
Images: 163
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Thread title changed to "fostering discussion" since this isn't about Graham anymore
  #25  
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:59 AM
luvadog luvadog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,868
Default Re: Precious Graham needs a warm home! [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elli120 View Post
Im
Once your pet has a passport you are restricted to going only to places on the EU and non-EU DEFRA approved countries. Even 1 day out of these countries invalidates the passport.
Do you know what the approved countries are?
  #26  
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Karen's Avatar
Karen Karen is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph (Canada)
Posts: 1,774
Images: 163
Default Re: Precious Graham needs a warm home! [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
Do you know what the approved countries are?
They're listed at the link she provided above.
  #27  
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:15 PM
luvadog luvadog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,868
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Thanks. It's very encouraging to see Canada, USA, Taiwan and Japan on the list. If someone were seriously thinking about adopting to the UK, then they could have someone foster in one of those countries.
  #28  
Unread 07-11-2010, 04:15 PM
lauraallover lauraallover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Daegu
Posts: 169
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
Thanks. It's very encouraging to see Canada, USA, Taiwan and Japan on the list. If someone were seriously thinking about adopting to the UK, then they could have someone foster in one of those countries.
If I move back to the UK, I'm planning on moving back to the US for awhile first so my cats will have their passports ready.
  #29  
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Ingrid64 Ingrid64 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seoul, R.O.K.
Posts: 227
Default Re: Pasta-loving fluff ball looking for pasta-loving home

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie View Post
I am leaving Korea in 3 weeks and would really love for this wonderful dog to find a quiet spot to live :S
He is so perfect!
I hope that a FOREVER home can be found... Can he not travel at all with you at this time, if no home can be found? It will be truly sad... and NOT fair. Dogs have better memories, and THE firmest loyalty, than ANY (of us decrepit) humans. Many dogs have waited ALL their lives for their owners to come home. I know of two such well-known stories where those sad dogs waited for 10 years respectively, until their deaths, for their owners to come home... Their owners had died, and they kept hoping they would come back for them. Poor... No dog should have to be passed on from one temporary home, to home to home to home to home, and once again, to another temporary home - that's EMOTIONAL TORTURE for those poor animals - and I have firm experience of this. Please... If no home can be found, and he is heart-healthy enough to travel, he was meant to be yours...

Best Greetings,

Ingrid, for the plight of the animals, right to the bone
  #30  
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Karen's Avatar
Karen Karen is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph (Canada)
Posts: 1,774
Images: 163
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Post #29 was removed from Timmy's thread and merged with this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid64 View Post
No dog should have to be passed on from one temporary home, to home to home to home to home, and once again, to another temporary home - that's EMOTIONAL TORTURE for those poor animals - and I have firm experience of this. Please... If no home can be found, and he is heart-healthy enough to travel, he was meant to be yours...
Ingrid, I'm disappointed that you continue to equate fostering with "emotional torture". In doing so, you are denigrating all the good work that foster parents do.

More importantly, though, implying that foster parents are "emotionally torturing" animals, making comments like "he was meant to be yours" in adoption threads, or otherwise using guilt to pressure foster parents into adopting is offensive and will not be tolerated.
  #31  
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM
red dog red dog is offline
National treasures need homes
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Near Seoul
Posts: 1,438
Images: 594
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Post #29 was removed from Timmy's thread and merged with this discussion.



Ingrid, I'm disappointed that you continue to equate fostering with "emotional torture". In doing so, you are denigrating all the good work that foster parents do.

More importantly, though, implying that foster parents are "emotionally torturing" animals, making comments like "he was meant to be yours" in adoption threads, or otherwise using guilt to pressure foster parents into adopting is offensive and will not be tolerated.
Thanks.
  #32  
Unread 08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
luvadog luvadog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,868
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Please don't be harsh with Ingrid. She's been through a lot lately and she has lost 2 of her elderly forever pups just a short time ago, so it's a very emotional time for her. I hate to think of the time when I have to say good-bye to any of my babies as they cross the rainbow bridge. "See you later and I trust God will hold you in his care until we can be together again" is the best way.

She's really super passionate about all animals, and for sure that we can appreciate and love in her, no matter what our disagreements. She's been a great asset to this forum, to many rescues in just a short time and contributed her time and money when she didn't have it.

I once offered a suggestion that people could foster a dog or cat for the holidays and it was sorely rejected for the very same reason that Ingrid is presenting here. People said it was unfair for the dog to know a good home and then go back. To be bounced back and forth. I still think it's a great idea but maybe even Ingrid would disagree with me...and that's ok too.

My argument would be that if I took in a dog for Christmas for a month, that dog would be out of the cold and rain, I would give that dog his vaccines and have the health checks, do major grooming, probably visit back at the shelter regularly while providing monthly HW prevent, and possibly adopt it in the end if it were possible and it was left behind. That would be the ultimate goal. Maybe even bring a dog home for a week and back and forth to the shelter until we both adjusted. When I had suggested the sponsoring program, that's what I was talking about. Even sponsor just HWP and have someone like Annie who's not actually fostering to give that medicine that I could provide to the dog of my choice each time she goes to Asan. So many ways you can sponsor with a little team effort that works so well on here. I use World Vision as an example because for $30.00/mo you can feed a whole family and provide an education to one child. In the same manner and same price, you can provide HWP and vaccines to one dog each month that would save his life. In the end, he could be ready to be shipped to you if you choose. Watching one progress every week could seal a deal for some of them who are otherwise ignored.

Even the dogs at Asan I'm sure look forward to the walkers and helpers to come by and give a pat. You wouldn't refrain from doing that based on the assumption the dog would get spoiled and start to get depressed because you're not there all the time.

Fostering is temporary but the dog doesn't know the terminology. And I've asked this before: What happens if the fosterer leaves the dog behind in a shelter because there were no homes available and no one wanted him when they returned to their home country? He would obviously go back, right? How bad is that? Just as bad.

Don't take this wrong anything I've said. I'm not on anyone's "side" or against anything anyone has said, ...I have my own way. And as far as I know, Annie isn't even fostering.

I never in all my days thought I'd come home with 8!! Life would have been easier with 2 for sure...but I'm glad I did. And I bonded with several others I fostered and wish I could hear more updates. But I don't. It's also heart-wrenching for the humans as well.

Now if you want to take up enough donation money to send this dog to me I'll pick him up with Panda in a week or so and find him a great home. But I'm struggling to get Panda here. But I WILL! As long as he's neutered and teeth cleaned. Those are way too expensive here.

Last edited by luvadog; 08-03-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: team effort
  #33  
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Gingersmurf Gingersmurf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 43
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
Well...then....adopt an English Bulldog.
ROFLMAO!! Thanks, luvadog. Now my two dogs have confirmation that I am indeed insane. "Mommy looks at that box and then laughs!" Please note that our mini doxie has been named Marlena Dietrich because my husband insisted. "She's German!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
Please don't be harsh with Ingrid. She's been through a lot lately and she has lost 2 of her elderly forever pups just a short time ago, so it's a very emotional time for her. I hate to think of the time when I have to say good-bye to any of my babies as they cross the rainbow bridge. "See you later and I trust God will hold you in his care until we can be together again" is the best way.

She's really super passionate about all animals, and for sure that we can appreciate and love in her, no matter what our disagreements. She's been a great asset to this forum, to many rescues in just a short time and contributed her time and money when she didn't have it.

I once offered a suggestion that people could foster a dog or cat for the holidays and it was sorely rejected for the very same reason that Ingrid is presenting here. People said it was unfair for the dog to know a good home and then go back. To be bounced back and forth. I still think it's a great idea but maybe even Ingrid would disagree with me...and that's ok too.

My argument would be that if I took in a dog for Christmas for a month, that dog would be out of the cold and rain, I would give that dog his vaccines and have the health checks, do major grooming, probably visit back at the shelter regularly while providing monthly HW prevent, and possibly adopt it in the end if it were possible and it was left behind. That would be the ultimate goal. Maybe even bring a dog home for a week and back and forth to the shelter until we both adjusted. When I had suggested the sponsoring program, that's what I was talking about. Even sponsor just HWP and have someone like Annie who's not actually fostering to give that medicine that I could provide to the dog of my choice each time she goes to Asan. So many ways you can sponsor with a little team effort that works so well on here. I use World Vision as an example because for $30.00/mo you can feed a whole family and provide an education to one child. In the same manner and same price, you can provide HWP and vaccines to one dog each month that would save his life. In the end, he could be ready to be shipped to you if you choose. Watching one progress every week could seal a deal for some of them who are otherwise ignored.

Even the dogs at Asan I'm sure look forward to the walkers and helpers to come by and give a pat. You wouldn't refrain from doing that based on the assumption the dog would get spoiled and start to get depressed because you're not there all the time.

Fostering is temporary but the dog doesn't know the terminology. And I've asked this before: What happens if the fosterer leaves the dog behind in a shelter because there were no homes available and no one wanted him when they returned to their home country? He would obviously go back, right? How bad is that? Just as bad.

Don't take this wrong anything I've said. I'm not on anyone's "side" or against anything anyone has said, ...I have my own way. And as far as I know, Annie isn't even fostering.

I never in all my days thought I'd come home with 8!! Life would have been easier with 2 for sure...but I'm glad I did. And I bonded with several others I fostered and wish I could hear more updates. But I don't. It's also heart-wrenching for the humans as well.

Now if you want to take up enough donation money to send this dog to me I'll pick him up with Panda in a week or so and find him a great home. But I'm struggling to get Panda here. But I WILL! As long as he's neutered and teeth cleaned. Those are way too expensive here.
Ingrid, I think luvadog worded this very nicely. I totally get your passion for the animals - we need to protect them because they can't protect themselves (in terms of shelter, medical care, etc).

But there is a huge difference between fostering a pet and abandoning a pet. I am sure that it's tough on animals to have multiple homes but the bottom line is that they DO have a home. It's a much better alternative when compared to euthanasia or living on the streets.

Your fight should be with irresponsible pet owners, those that don't spay or neuter their pets or those that just dump their pets outside when they are tired of them.

Honestly, given a choice, wouldn't you rather have a nice house to stay in for a week or a month at a time rather than to have to huddle in the gutter?
  #34  
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
elli120 elli120 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 41
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingersmurf View Post
Please note that our mini doxie has been named Marlena Dietrich because my husband insisted. "She's German!"
Hahaha. my mini dachshund is named Diesel and naturally when choosing an EU country to spend 7 months in to by-pass quarantine in the UK I had to choose Germany.He's German after all! Diesel can search for his doggy ancestors and we are living about 200m from Dieselstrasse (Diesel street)!!!
  #35  
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
annie annie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,344
Images: 28
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
And as far as I know, Annie isn't even fostering.
I don't get that line...I've been fostering non-stop, both cats and dogs, for the past 4 years...
  #36  
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
luvadog luvadog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,868
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie View Post
I don't get that line...I've been fostering non-stop, both cats and dogs, for the past 4 years...
Oh, I meant just Pasta. I thought you were just helping to post him and make an occasional visit. But for SURE I know you have fostered many MANY!

I think cats stick to you like glu, like dogs stuck to me. Are you taking all 4 home with you? You're as bad as me!
  #37  
Unread 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
annie annie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,344
Images: 28
Default Re: Fostering discussion [post moved from other thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvadog View Post
Oh, I meant just Pasta. I thought you were just helping to post him and make an occasional visit. But for SURE I know you have fostered many MANY!

I think cats stick to you like glu, like dogs stuck to me. Are you taking all 4 home with you? You're as bad as me!
OK, I see. Well, Timmy ("Pasta") is my actual foster this time. My 3 cats are coming with me. My foster cat Lea is most probably getting adopted very soon!
 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shelter euthanasia policies [discussion moved from other thread] adoptbullies General Questions & Chat 57 06-09-2010 07:00 AM
When adoption doesn't work [discussion moved from other thread] annie General Questions & Chat 10 01-31-2010 12:19 AM
Adoption Fees [discussion moved from other thread] alibuch General Questions & Chat 28 01-12-2010 02:48 PM
Trial Adoptions (discussion moved from other thread) schatze_ist_geliebt Fostering 44 01-04-2010 03:01 PM
Fostering Shelter Dogs (discussion moved from other thread) Jenkins150 Fostering 7 11-02-2008 11:54 PM

Bookmarks

Tags
fostering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.